the notorious "mosquito hawk"

last night there was one of those bugs in our kitchen — you know, some people call them “mosquito hawks” and some people call them “mosquito eaters” and they look like…well, giant mosquitos. (yes it is ok to leave out the e in the plural form. I checked.) I was washing dishes at the time and got to wondering, what on earth is this bug really called? does it eat mosquitos? is it a mosquito of some form?

so thanks to my handy-dandy google search, I discovered that the bug is actually a crane fly. you can read more about it here. interesting, huh? who knew there were flies that big! so…now you know what the bug is really called, and we can all stop calling it a mosquito thing. huzzah for google!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: